Bolinger on noncontrastive stress on function words

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 18 05:54:02 UTC 2010

I remember vaguely that Dwight Bolinger wrote something on
newsreaders' use of stress on function words in sentences like

The mayor will meet WITH grant recipients AT City Hall tomorrow AT nine.

I've heard the pattern often enough, though not necessarily with every
preposition stressed as above but clearly with prepositions or other
function words that were stressed for no apparent reason.  I've heard
it with relative-that also.  I've searched online through about a
dozen Bolinger papers on stress, but I haven't been able to find the
paper I vaguely remember reading a long time ago.  If anyone can come
up with the reference from this not very precise description, I'd be
grateful.

Herb