minor 9 yds. questions (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Jun 18 15:18:59 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Citation is correct. Page 6, col 1 is location of quote. The quote as stated above is wrong -- it is two adjacent columns combined.  Correct quote follows:
"I left the Ballistic Systems Division on August 1st, Clyde said, "and went to Hurlburt AFB for training in Air Commando tactical warfare. We got the whole nine yards, including a side trip to Panama for jungle survival."

"Clyde" is Maj Clyde B. Williams.

Written by LtCol Frank D. Campbell Jr.
"Editor's Note: Col. Campbell was formerly Public Information Officer of Ballistics Systems Division, Norton AFB . When he was assigned to South Viet Nam, Mrs. Campbell and their daughters remained in Redlands. He is Director of Information, Second Air Division. He keeps up on Redlands news via the Facts."

> Redlands Daily Facts  Feb,. 17, 1969
> ...(and it might as well be a friend) ought to write a swan song for
> the ex-commissioner [of baseball] William D. Eckert (Lt Gen ASAF, Ret.)
> better known as Spike. To me the whole nine yards of l'affaire Spike
> never quite made sense, some writers derive an odd sadistic euphoria
> for knocking a man who has made it in this....

Cite is incorrect -- 2/19/1969, p 24. Col 6.  Author is Maj Gen Perry B. Griffith, USAF, Ret.
Quote above is nearly accurate -- here is correct version:

"...(and it might as well be a friend) ought to write a swan song for
the ex-commissioner [of baseball] William D. Eckert (Lt Gen ASAF, Ret.)
better known as Spike. To me the whole nine yards of l'affaire Spike
never quite made sense.  True enough, some writers derive an odd sadistic euphoria
for knocking a man who has made it. In this case . . . "