the ol' hookeroo revisited

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 19 18:07:28 UTC 2010

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was reminded of this thread when
watching Australia's World Cup matches; the team is standardly
referred to as "the socceroos".  Nice the way the velar pops up, as
in "buckaroo", "kangaroo", and "(the old) hookeroo", much like the
/k/ of "alcoholic", "workaholic", "chocoholic", "sexaholic", etc.
At the rate they're going, the socceroos may soon get the ol'
hookeroo.

LH