more information on the kibosh, qirbach, kurbash

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Jun 24 07:58:15 UTC 2010

--

I think the person quoted here ("Myers") was an immigrant (a "German
Jew", says the text), with imperfect English. Possibly his use of

It is interesting that "put the kibosh on [someone]" is parallel to "put
the whip on [the horse etc.]" which was (I think) conventional usage of
the time. "Kibosh" [transitive verb] = "put the kibosh on" is also
parallel to "whip" [verb] = "put the whip on".

I think Myers was definitely a Jew (according to the article) and I
don't think anyone claimed otherwise. I don't think anyone suggested
that he was or might have been a chimney-sweep; rather it was suggested
that he had darkened his skin (and worn a turban), and had pretended to
be of some exotic nationality, presumably to improve his prospects as a
beggar.

Incidentally, from the context here I understand "naturalized" to mean
here essentially "converted from the Jewish religion [presumably to
Church of England]" although this may not have been the usual sense of
"naturalized" at the time.

Based on exactly the same newspaper article discussed above, I generated
(independently, recently) a different casual speculation ... for which I
can find no supporting evidence. "R[a]ise the kibosh against me" here
can be equated to "arouse the local people against me" or so ... which
evokes the name of Simon Caboche, a famous rabble-rouser in French
history. Another candidate for the [bottom of the?] list.

Of course somebody long ago (IIRC) suggested the etymon "caboche" =
"behead" reflected in the heraldic term "caboched"/"caboshed".

I think there are still several candidate etyma ... with the true one
perhaps yet to be discovered.

-- Doug Wilson