"blergh" (and "argh")

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 25 13:42:17 UTC 2010

Both "ARRGGGGGHHHH!!!!" and "BLEEAH!!" - perhaps with minor spelling
variations - featured prominently (at least to my mind) in Schulz's
"Peanuts" strips of the late '50s and early '60s.

"BLEEAH!!" expressed distaste.  Charlie Brown frequently said
"ARRGGGGGHHHH!!" when life or Lucy had dealt him another blow.

CB's "ARRGGGGGHHHH!!" was semantically distinct from that of Robert Newton
as Long John Silver, originator, it seems, of the pirate "Argh!"  (If
Wallace Beery used it in his earlier version of _Treasure Island_ , which I
doubt, it made no impression on me.)

Newton's was apparently a West Country variant of "Ah!"

JL