eggcorn (grading on the curb)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 26 01:31:46 UTC 2010

Not really.  But consider this one, from the wild:
"i am behind the curb with just about everything i do (beer bongs,
fashion blogs... yelping... Vietnamese sandwiches)".

from the Yelp entry for a banh mi place in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, at
http://www.yelp.com/biz/nha-toi-brooklyn

(I suppose the thought is that the trendy folks are all lined up to
try the trendy restaurant, and you're stuck there behind the curb?)

No eggcorn database listing for "behind the curb" or "ahead of the
curb", although there are a couple that go in the other direction:
"curve one's appetite/hunger/enthusiasm"
(http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/index.php?s=curb&submit=Search)

Googling "I'm behind the curb" pulls up 36 actual hits; "I'm ahead of
the curb" just 17.  There are, of course, some relevant ones for
"behind/ahead of the curb" without the "I'm", but lots of literal
ones too especially for the former, where there's an actual curb that
someone is behind.

LH