rectangle vs. square

Sun Jun 27 18:55:23 UTC 2010

Mark Mandel wrote
> One disagreement with Garson: example (3) is not relevant. "Square with"
> refers to relative orientation, not to shape: '(of the room in question)
> having the sides parallel with the sides of (the sepulchral chamber'.

Yes, example 3 is flawed. Thank you for pointing that out.

(3 new version) Flats, or Flat Bars. - Rolled bars of iron or steel of
rectangular but not square sections.

http://books.google.com/books?id=DmAwAAAAMAAJ&q=%22not+square%22#v=snippet&

Also, I should have noted Larry Horn's example (one of several):

> "It's not sufficient to call that a ___, you can more
> perspicuously call it a ____"  (as in the old
> Volkswagen commercial's claim "It's not a car,
> it's a VW").

Following this pattern a speaker who believed squares were instances
of rectangles might still say:
It's not a rectangle, it's a square.