I guaran-god-damn-tee it

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 28 01:20:33 UTC 2010

At 5:14 PM -0400 6/27/10, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Since only God damns, no emphasis on _God_ is required, in any case.

Wilson, of all posters, should recall the argument from Quang Phuc
Dong (of the South Hanoi Institute of Technology) in his paper
"English Sentences Without Overt Grammatical Subject" [with due
credit to his alter ego James D. McCawley] back in the 60s that "God"
is not the subject of this verb, as evidenced by the contrast between

Goddamn God!
*Goddamn Himself!

LH