different + P

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Jun 29 04:58:09 UTC 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:
>>
>> we've touched on "different from/than/to" on this list recently, and i'm *sure* it's
>> come up several times in the past (it's now come up on Language Log too,
>> thanks to a posting by Barbara Partee on "special than").  i'm also sure that
>> i've written on the subject several times -- here, or on Language Log or my blog,
>> or in correspondence -- but i can't find any record of this on my computer or in
>> various archives.  maybe i'm making this up.  but i'd prefer to cite existing stuff
>> rather than do a new presentation from scratch (complete with the research
>> necessary to go beyond what MWDEU says, in particular to get stuff from the
>> handbooks and the OED).
>>
>> does anyone else have a record of any of this?
>
> Some discussion in these threads:
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0401A&L=ADS-L&P=R1380
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0712E&L=ADS-L&P=R1137

thanks.  i had the first of these filed away already.  it has one important piece of my longer write-up.

over the years i've gotten a number of messages peeving about "different from", and i've responded to most of them, but usually with a very brief run-down of the MWDEU article.  but a couple of times i've done more elaborate syntheses, with material collected from sources.

it looks like i'm just going to have to re-write this stuff from scratch.  sigh.

arnold