tenderpreneur

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Jun 29 17:28:57 UTC 2010

On Jun 29, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Paul Frank wrote:

> Robert Cohen explains the South African word "tenderpreneur" in
> yesterday's Times:...

from my files:

 http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/preneurs/

[on -(((t)r)e)preneur ]

Back to the question of the status of -preneur (and other liberated second portions of portmanteaus). As I noted in a posting a while back on -orama (with a passing mention of -eteria), such elements are often loosely referred to as suffixes, but they have many properties of words in compounds; Michael Quinion’s Ologies and Isms (on-line here) classifies them as suffixes on the basis of their position in words, but also labels them as “combining forms” on the grounds that they function in the same way as elements of compounds, except for being bound.

my blog posting (which cites a bunch of -preneur words)  doesn't list "tenderpreneur", though it notes that -preneur words are innovated in such profusion that I've stopped collecting them.

arnold