sped = special ed (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Jun 30 14:43:20 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

As a modifier (all cites from Newsbank):

Union-News (Springfield, MA) - Wednesday, December 11, 1991 p. 18
""It's not unusual to have the SPED director position combined with
other administrative positions in a school system of less than 4,000
students," she said yesterday."

Recorder, The (Greenfield, MA) - Friday, January 23, 1998 p. 1
"New Salem resident John Coolidge, a lawyer by trade, has become a
full-time SPED parent raising three adopted children from Costa Rica,
all of whom have special needs."

Georgetown Record (MA) - Wednesday, January 14, 2009 p. unk (from
Newsbank)
" "To me the challenging part of being a SPED parent is trying to find
out exactly what you need and what will be appropriate and helpful for
your child," she said."

As a noun:

New York Times, The (NY) - Sunday, August 9, 1987 p. 26 col 1
"Slang expressions were exchanged. Our "nerds" are their " speds ." "

Post-Tribune (IN) - Sunday, December 10, 1989 p B1

" They're teased on the buses and at schools, and the other students
call them ' speds .'"