"haggard" = ? a stack-yard, 1999-2009

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Wed Jun 30 18:37:07 UTC 2010

> header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      "haggard" = ? a stack-yard, 1999-2009
> "Himself" by Thomas Lynch, from Walking Papers:
> 1999-2009. © W.W. Norton & Co., 2010.
> In "The Writer's Almanac",
> http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2010/06/28
> (I assume the
> author is British or Irish from his later spelling "cheque".)
>
> Joel

He's American, not sure from where, now in his late sixties, former
undertaker (from a family of undertakers) with a non-immediate Irish
background which he sometimes draws on in his poems (e.g. "The Sin Eater")..
First book was _Skating with Mary Jane_ (if I have the title right).  Later
books of poetry, and prose pieces mostly based on his time as an undertaker.

Nice guy, and a fine poet.

Robin