*tsunamus

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 1 02:26:05 UTC 2010

A tidal wave has no other definition.  It is no other phenomenon that I know of.

And by your logic the term "tidal wave" has always had a more than literal interpretation.  We new it as a seizmic wave event, now called a tsunami.  But the term was dropped "because" of the literal interpretation.  So why is tsunami superior.  It too has an inferior literal interpretation, "harbor wave."  Your dumbass example applies to both.

Meanwhile Americans are stuck with a word they cannot spell or look up based on the sound of it.  Apparently it's a better term only because it's in a different language.  So for the Japanese "tidal wave" must be a better term for them, whether or not they can pronounce it from the spelling.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469227/direct/01/