Antedating of _doo(-)wop_

Mon Mar 1 03:21:34 UTC 2010

Wilson, I wasn't trying to one-up your interpretation! Far from it.
What I found interesting about the quote is Davis's reference to the
song as "a doo-wop." When the 1961 cite enters the OED (as it surely
will), the "doo-wop" entry will need to be expanded to include this
sort of count-noun usage (i.e., "a song [with such-and-such
characteristics]"). Later cites would fit into the mass-noun "genre"
usage the OED already has ("a variety of (orig. American) vocal group
music [etc.]").  A good comparison would be "rap" in the musical sense
-- the count noun (rap = 'a rap song') predates the mass noun (rap =
'rap music').

But you're quite correct that either the count-noun or mass-noun usage
could be considered an instantiation of a genre. Sorry to suggest
otherwise. (And the 1965 cite I gave is attributive anyway, so it's
neither here nor there, really.)

--Ben Zimmer