Antedating of "Tsunami" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Mar 1 16:59:45 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The usage Fred quotes below is presumably a Japanese fisherman crying
"Tsunami!", so his statement "The usage here is not entirely naturalized
into English" is appropriate.  However, earlier in the article (at least
in the Philly Inquirer version), the statement is made:

"The dreaded tsunami (sea wave) was not altogether new to some of those
who were so soon to become its victims."  [col 2]

which seems entirely naturalized to me.