"fork *up*" (July 1837), and other slang

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 2 00:10:25 UTC 2010

Matsell may not have been dumb, but he was certainly out to make a buck
(worth so much more in spending power then), and surely he
was linguistically and lexicographically naive. It is even conceivable that
he had one of his minions compile _Vocabulum_ for him, but that's a
gratuitous conjecture for which I apologize.

Virginia Woolf famously reported that "On [sic] or about December, 1910,
human nature changed."

*I'm* ready for the centennial!  Are you?

JL