"fork *up*" (July 1837), and other slang

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 2 00:56:25 UTC 2010

Honestly, Joel, I don't understand your point.  Cant dictionaries *were*
crummily edited, at least as far as I can tell.

Your 1837 ex. is a news filler, not a full-blown cant dictionary.  All of
the items (except _pony_, n.) were not infrequent in print, and therefore
certainly genuine.  I see no reason to doubt _pony_, either, since, as you
observe, we still have the once rather common _pony up_.

If you occasionally pick up words for your own use from standard, not
cant, dictionaries and thesauruses, which is what I understood you to mean,
that use is not "phony" because you are speaking or writing in your own
voice unlike the creator of, say, "In a London Flash-Panney."

JL