"fork *up*" (July 1837), and other slang

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 2 03:41:09 UTC 2010

One true test of Matsell's reliability as a reporter would be to determine
how much of his original material can be shown to antedate his dictionary in
non-lexicographical sources. (It would be too much to insist that the
earlier sources be nonfiction.) Jesse may have done this - I don't recall.

My investigation of Matsell's own _National Police Gazette_ suggests to me
that it used relatively little of the _Vocabulum_ vocabulary before or even
after 1859, though its columns frequently used cant.  I find that
curious.  I included in HDAS almost every naturally occurring U.S. ex. I
could find illustrating an entry in Matsell, and I found relatively
few. With computer databases available, perhaps it would be time to look
again.

Even if you were Chief of Police, the simplest way to compile a "Rogue's
Lexicon" in 1859, would be to plagiarize from whichever of your
predecessors' work was available.

Add a few current terms, no matter how uncommon, and lo! a rogue's lexicon.

JL