language at the Health Care Summit

Alison Murie sagehen7470 at ATT.NET
Tue Mar 2 17:48:18 UTC 2010

On Mar 2, 2010, at 12:46 AM, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: language at the Health Care Summit
>
> Now on Word Routes:
>
> http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/2191/
>

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Victor Steinbok
> <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, THAT happened.
>>
>> I did assume that he made a simple switch, but it was too good to
>> ignore.
>>
>>    VS-)
>>
>> On 2/26/2010 2:44 PM, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM, victor steinbok<aardvark66 at gmail.com

>>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/25/AR2010022503128.html
>>> "We, again, have a very difficult bridge to gap here, because I know
>>> that this is something that we don't want to look at."
>>>
>>> Confirmed by audio here:
>>> http://www.c-spanarchives.org/program/292260-1
>>>
>>> But Cantor later tweeted:
>>>
>>> http://twitter.com/GOPWhip/status/9638256321
>>> "We have a very difficult gap to bridge here. We just can't afford
>>> this. That's the ultimate problem."
>>>

>>> --Ben Zimmer
It may not have  been at the health care circus, but in some context
concerning the dolorous state of affairs for the many who have been
hard hit by current conditions, I heard a woman winding up an account
of losses (of job, health, money, house,&c.) with the words "we're
circling the drain."  This is a new one to me.  Do others know it?
AM