postvocalic /l/

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 5 01:19:25 UTC 2010

If an "awe-dropper" mispronounces the word "brawl" as ~braal (with "ah" instead of "awe" as the vowel) it's easy to hear "bra" (if the "l" is not said strongly).

My big worry is that "off" when said with the "awe-dropped" becomes ~aaf and sounds like "on" if the last phoneme is dropped, which, as we see, can happen.  In fact on an airplane I heard the steward say "Turn all electronic devices ah".  He clipped the last phoneme, which was "f", for "off" I suppose, not "n" for "on".  But the "ah" might make one suppose "on".  Not good in critical applications to confuse "off" and "on".

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/