Foobie

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 5 18:38:22 UTC 2010

There was a Foobie long before Furbie. Foobie D Robot has been around at
least since the early 1980s and became a part of anti-drug campaign in
the early 1990s. Given that Foobar became a common term among early PC
users (something about DOS just invited this--foo.bar) and, more
specifically, hackers, it is not much of a stretch to conclude that
Foobie D Robot was made as an extension of that particular use. Of
course, FUBAR goes back to WWII--along with FUBB (which, in the computer
circles, became Foobab), and the rest of the FU menagerie. OED and most
other sources have FUBAR back to January 1944 (not sure if two PQ hits
for 1943--one in Time--are accurate). Foobar's existence is nearly as
long--Foobar was commonly used by FORTRAN programmers even before PCs
were a possibility and "Foobar Inc" was a common reference among early
AI researchers. I found a GB hit for "Foobar" as "an intension ... to
represent the concept of dog" in a supposedly 1946 RAND paper, but I
very much doubt that the date tag is accurate--it seems to be just
another AI usage and the paper is likely from the 1990s. But it should
be noted that Foobar has /always/ been a joke use of FUBAR in technical
contexts. Foobar goes back to the mid-1970s for sure. It seems Foobie is
nearly as old.

[News and book searches on FUBAR and Foobie D. Robot are left as an
exercise to the reader.]

I doubt there is a connection between Foobie D Robot and Furbie--the
source of "fur" in Furbie is rather obvious. Not so for the Furbie
knock-off, Foobie. However, the Foobie pseudo-coinage, in this case,
likely exemplifies someone's particular brand of humor as applied to
Furbies.

Given the specific description in Doubletongued, the portmanteau origin
of that particular use of "foobies" is also rather obvious--"fake
boobies". This easily could have been an independent coinage, as it
follows a long list of similar constructs. On the other hand Foobies.com
is a part of Fark, and they make the "f-(b)oobies" connection rather
obvious--just go to the page.

Foobie D Robot is another matter.

There is the Blade Agency Foobie ...er... FUBAR:

http://bit.ly/akIK4M
> Foobie D. Robot
> The Futuristic Uranium Bio-Atomic Robot (FUBAR) is an android that
> will never fail to make a big impression on your audience at trade
> shows, conventions, sales meetings, and receptions. His wacky wit and
> user-friendly personality is the perfect vehicle to put your
> promotional ideas into orbit.

[Other agencies seem to claim FUBAR as their own. No need to list them
all here.]

One may doubt, I suppose, the odd appearance of both Foobie and FUBAR
names on the same page, but don't fret--the connection is well
established. Consider Foobie to be an endearing nickname for FUBAR. And
if there is any doubt about the origin, consider this (only reproducing
a part of the text--see the rest on the page).

http://bit.ly/d865Bl

> FUBAR D. Robot
> Welcome to my home page!
> It's under construction now, but I anticipate many bizarre photo links
> in the near future.  Please note that any mistakes here are 100% due
> to human error.
> In the meantime, you can check out sloooooow loading page at GeoCities
> with some celebrity pix.  Yep, that's me with Tori Spelling, The Fonz,
> Rick Schroeder, Don King and more!
> http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Club/1999/
> With best regards,
> Foobie
>
> _Personal Data_
>
> Aliases : FUBAR (Futuristic Uranium Bio Atomic Robot), Charmer in Armor,
> Ol' Red Eyes, Robot Redford, the Bucket of Bolts
> _Little Known Foobie Facts_
>
> 1979 - FUBAR first appeared at Wyoming Valley Mall in Wilkes Barre,
> PA. on February 17, 1979.  He claimed to have come to Earth from the
> planet Cragzot in the star system of Betelgeuse where he allegedly
> "built himself".  His story is unconfirmed to this day.
>
> 1979 - In December, FUBAR aka Foobie became the first robotic
> Presidential Candidate when he held a press conference at the National
> Press Building in Washington DC.  AP and UPI wire stories were
> published by newspapers around the world.  FUBAR mysteriously withdrew
> from the race in early November 1980. FUBAR stated he was "leaving the
> race to the other three robots", not to mention leaving millions of
> voters undecided on the eve of the election.
>
> 1980 - On July 14, FUBAR D. Robot became the first and only robot to
> gain membership in AFTRA (the American Federation of Television and
> Radio Actors).  To our knowledge, no other robot has received this
> honor to this day. Note: Other robots like C3PO and R2D2 are not union
> members - only the human actors that operate them are!
>
> 1983-84 - FUBAR signs an exclusive contract with the William Morris
> Agency to appear on NBC's hit sitcom, Silver Spoons, with Ricky
> Schroeder.
>
> 1983 - A year of scandal for FUBAR in Hollywood.  In June, the
> National Enquirer runs a photo of him with Hugh Hefner's former wife
> Barbie Benton on his knee.  That same week, Star runs a photo of him
> with Donna Mills on his knee.   Shortly thereafter, Brandon Tartikoff
> directs FUBAR to officially change his name to Foobie following a
> short lesson in Archaic Military Acronyms from a friend.
>
> 1985 - Foobie left his acting career to devote his efforts to the
> field of education and public service.  He continues his work today,
> constantly making personal appearances throughout the US.
>
> E-MAIL Foobie!
> Foobie loves to get mail .

Numerous news stories confirm the 1985 bit.

Siemens Science Day page has the same reference (and the Blade Agency
image):

http://bit.ly/c1G3eH
> Meet and interact with Foobie, Gizmo and the robotics of the future at
> Siemens Science Day. The Futuristic Uranium Bio-Atomic Robot (FUBAR)
> is mobile, agile, informative and not to mention fun!

Foobie D. Robot has always been fake--it was never an actual robot. But
I doubt it is even necessary to connect him directly to the model RR
use. The FUBAR reference to "fake" cars and engines would be solid in
its own right. These are the models that have been FUBARed. Since they
are diminutive, might as well call them foobies. Whether you believe the
connection between early computer hackers, Foobie D Robot and model RR
foobies is up to you. But I have little doubt that they do share the
connection to FUBAR--the former two are well documented and it's not
much of stretch to see it in the third.

Then, there is the Foobie Jesus video by Katharine Leis (i-katharine.com).

http://bit.ly/9Nd4VI

Again, even though Foobie is the name given to the cat here, the origin
is likely the same (if you doubt it, feel free to contact Ms. Leis,
whose sense of humor appears to be just in the right ballpark).

I would not be surprised if "Foobie Jesus" [appropriately] becomes the
term for all "miraculous" Jesus images reported in various incarnations.
I would personally encourage it.

     VS-)