postvocalic /l/

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Mar 5 19:46:36 UTC 2010

Also, my suggestion that in most of North America 'on' and 'off' have the same vowel phoneme is only partially related to the low-back vowel merger (awe-dropping). In many areas that have a difference between 'Don' and 'dawn,' 'on' is pronounced to rhyme with 'dawn' not with 'Don.' Thus most dialects have been using the same vowel in 'on' and 'off' for a long while.

On 3/5/10 1:35 PM, "ronbutters at AOL.COM" <ronbutters at AOL.COM> wrote:

The speakers AND hearers in question were almost certainly NOT "awe droppers" (as has been pointed out here several times). Merger had nothing to do with the supposed misunderstanding. Most likely this was just some 7-year-olds pretending to have misunderstood so they could giggle. Once again Mr. Z's ignorance and obsession leads to a stupid conclusion.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
Date:         Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:26:15
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] postvocalic /l/

If the fear is irrational, why do we have a clear example that "awe-dropping" leads to miscommunication?  Apparantly when the "l" was not heard for the word "brawl" and it was pronounced "braal", it was taken to be "bra".  So in a workplace where "off" and "on" are spoken frequently, it should be obvious that there is an increasing danger of miscommunication if "off" is pronounced with the "ah" phoneme.

As for how "Most of N America" say "cot/caught", 61% say these words differently and 39% say them the same.  Dialect Survey - http://www3.uwm.edu/Dept/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html
Are there any other data on this.

IMHO awe-dropping is a change to the traditional pronunciation of English words that goes against the basic principle of alphabetic writing and increases miscommunication, and deviates from the other Englishes of the world hurting standardized pronunciation.  No good comes from awe-dropping.  Dropping "awe-dropping" is worth having a "bra" over.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469227/direct/01/