"tree of liberty", 1765 (OED, also 1765)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 6 22:02:29 UTC 2010

I have been on the same trail for the past couple of hours, but am
still in the process of composing. The date is off by nearly three
decades, although I am not sure how much the OED would be receptive to
the idea of the metaphorical pre-dating the physical use.

I am still trying to figure out if Locke or someone in the same period use it.

VS-)