chantey, shanty: pronun. query

Mon Mar 8 18:18:00 UTC 2010

The Caribbean creoles I have seen work on all have a /tS/-/S/
contrast, at least, isolatively, as do the African ones.  Both sounds
are fairly common in African languages, too.  There are Scots
dialects with fishing/maritime connections like Caithnesian,
Shetlandic and Orcadian (and not all varieties of the latter two)
that merge /tS/ and /S/ under the latter, but this is perhaps too far
afield/obscure.  I don't know of any English English dialects that do
this.

Paul Johnston