"corpii" as plural of "corpus"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 10 02:24:07 UTC 2010

I suppose I should know better, but this one rather jolted me.
The rgh count was "about 12,600 for corpii -EVE -XTSE -killboard -[NAME]"
(the last to exclude several different hits written by the same person).

Almost all of the first 100 hits were one or more of (exx. are linked)
 wargame<http://www.scrapheap-challenge.com/viewtopic.php?p=1132265&sid=a8d37242e99b7d37d7d2f5714b1960c3>
 comics <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokum_&_Hex>
 web user IDs, probably derived from the above<http://www.last.fm/user/Corpii>
 OCR error <http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=01659179>
 Latin<http://books.google.com/books?id=wrQiAAAAMAAJ&q=corpii#v=snippet&q=corpii&f=false>
 Romanian<http://www.bioterapi.ro/aprofundat/index_aprofundat_index_enciclopedic_substanteCorpii_cetonici.html>
 corporate<http://oaspub.epa.gov/enviro/fii_query_dtl.disp_program_facility?pgm_sys_id_in=TX0128503&pgm_sys_acrnm_in=PCS>
 medical terminology
<http://books.google.com/books?id=oVZKAAAAMAAJ&q=corpii#v=snippet&q=corpii&f=false>

Ignoring such false positives, as well as hits in which the writer said
something like "is that the plural?", below are most of what showed up in
the first 100. Most refer to corpora of data, and come from people who
(ahem) should know better, since they seem to be working in NLP or other
aspects of computer science. I am gratified, though, by the one I've listed
last.

http://lists.ccs.neu.edu/pipermail/bionlp/2010-January/001749.html
So, I m considering chemical name normalisation at the moment
(generally I'm just trying to do some background reading on the
subject). Whilst there does appear to be corpii available for both
training and evaluating chemical NER I havent been able to find a test
set which allows the evaluation of a normalisation task. Does one
exist?

http://c-command.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21
It would be great to have .Mac synchronisation (or even WebDAV or FTP
synchronisation of non .Mac users) of the Corpus to be able to keep two
machines Corpii in sync (e.g. a Desktop and a Laptop).

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1525942
We address the question of provenance for unstructured information (i.e.,
document corpii from file systems)

http://www.intelligentagent.com/archive/ia8_1_SocialFabrics_BuildingaCultureofUbiquity_Lichty.pdf
As the modes of communication, representation, and interaction shift with
the move from desktop computation to handheld devices, what is the shift
that is created when the site of engagement moves from the hand to the body?
What are the issues that arise when the corpii of flesh and information are
so closely signified?

http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/blog/?p=244
I’m sure they’ll be doing more textual analysis in the future and it doesn’t
make the unilateral control of large and/or unique corpuses (corpii?) any
less worrying, but just wanted to set the record straight.

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=22719021
I don't think we're going to make an expanded original recipe (that's what
we call those) system with different corpii any time soon, sorry. More
awesome things to do!

http://www.educatedguesswork.org/movabletype/archives/2008/05/prediction_of_f.html
They then fit a predictive model for the effect of each parameter on the
activation level of each voxel, so for instance you could say that if a word
is associated with "sight" (i.e., it appears near "sight" in text corpii)
that increases the activation of voxel v by .1 units. This is fairly
straightforward regression modelling stuff.

http://old.nabble.com/RE:-All-image-spam-p3285133.html
RE: All image spam ...
Although we have masschecked the above SARE_GIF_STOX have
it had a very nice S/O as well, we just never published it.. Not sure
why.   Those masscheck results are below from 5 different corpii.

And lastly :-) ...
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/PluralOfCorpus
The Latin word "corpus" (which means "body" in English) is frequently used
to designate a collection of messages, either ham or spam.
 The plural of "corpus" is "corpora".
 Arguably, English will allow the use of "corpuses", but it looks and sounds
a little odd.
 The plural of "corpus" is NOT "corpi" or "corpii" or anything like that.
 (For the linguists, "corpus" is a 3rd declension neuter noun.)
 On a related point, the English plural of "virus" is "viruses" .

m a m