bathinet/baskinet

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Mar 11 15:20:26 UTC 2010

I hate to follow up on my own response: now I do recall seeing a
bathinet in action, but it wasn't my grandmother's. It was in an old
movie (30s-50s) that I now cannot recall the name of: main character
is a small-town newspaper man and he and his wife want to adopt a
child, they get turned down then suddenly do get a baby without much
notice. And there's this scene where they give the baby a bath, and
it's a bathinet that they use: a basin on a waist-high frame with a
cover on it: they lay the baby on the cover to undress the baby, pull
the cover back, bathe the baby, etc. It's a funny scene. (Rest of the
plot, the child ends up being taken away at some point, they blame
each other, they split up . . . .)

---Amy West