Is texting good for the English language

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Fri Mar 12 10:41:49 UTC 2010

Tom -

>Is texting "good for the English language"
>
>=20
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dv7WSzxQ0nX4

Thanks for this. David Crystal is a highly-renowned (and popular, and
populist) linguist, and his opinions are to be taken seriously - it's just
a shame the trailer didn't let him say more! What he says, of course, are
things that many other linguists also think, but he has the media profile
to be able to get on the telly and say them.

This clip will be good for teaching (and so I've bookmarked it in my
Delicious 'social bookmarking' account where others might also see it).
Shame the trailer wasn't longer, but I suppose there would have been
copyright problems with it being on YouTube if it had been.

Your link doesn't work, incidentally, but I don't think that's your fault.
You gave a full link, but, when you click on it, it just goes to the
YouTube homepage. I found the clip, though, by searching for it in YouTube.

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK