Search for quote: "A man dies, is remembered for ten years..."

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Fri Mar 12 17:59:24 UTC 2010

This is just a double-check.  A colleague of mine is writing a book on Mark Twain and sent me the following message:

 'This is something like the quote I have been unable to find:   "A man dies, is remembered for ten years and forgotten for a hundred thousand."  I have seen it ascribed to Twain, but can't verify it.'

A few months ago I asked the ads-l list if anyone had any idea about the origin of this quote. Now might I ask, has anyone has ever seen this quote (or something similar) anywhere, either in Twain or elsewhere?  Is it locatable anywhere?

Thus far the search has turned up nothing.  But if any group can shed light on this, it's ads-l.

Gerald Cohen

P.S. to Ben (re: "On Language"): Congratulations!