skeeter eaters

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 12 22:19:15 UTC 2010

I agree that a crane fly looks like one big-assed, but otherwise
completely harmless, mosquito. But, though I remember them quite
clearly from my East-Texas childhood, somehow, I can't recall any
other name for them except "crane fly," which, IME, is literary and
not a local or a dialect term.

-Wilson

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Eric Nielsen <ericbarnak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Eric Nielsen <ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: skeeter eaters
>
> Crane fly?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly
>

> Eric
>
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: skeeter eaters

>> Never heard of 'em.  As you probably know, though, ordinary male mosquitos
>> (which don't bite) look huge, almost big enough to cover your driver's
>> license.
>>
>> JL
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Darla Wells <lethe9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>> > -----------------------
>> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> > Poster:       Darla Wells <lethe9 at GMAIL.COM>
>> > Subject:      skeeter eaters

>> > 228,000 g-hits and wondering if any of you are familiar with them ....
>> I've
>> > got a houseful of what I hope are skeeter eaters, but look like giant
>> > mosquitos (and here in S. Louisiana could be giant mosquitos).

>> > The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>> >

>> --
>> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the truth."

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain