Babbity Bowster

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 13 00:19:44 UTC 2010

Paul Johnston writes:

"... the names McKeown and Bowie also have _this vowel_ in Scotland ..."

What vowel is that? I know Americans named _McKeown_ and _Bowie_ and
they have the same vowel, in a manner of speaking, one being
[m@'kj_u_n] and the other being [b_u_i]. The problem here, to make
answering easier for you, is that I'm not familiar with the sound
represented by barred u.

It may be the case that answering is impossible. Several native
speakers of Dutch have, from time to time tried to teach me to
pronounce, e.g. the sound spelled _ui_ or _uj_ with no success.

-Wilson

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at wmich.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Babbity Bowster
>
> In Scots, it'd be pronounced like [^] + barred-u, the vowel that
> occurs in words like yowe=ewe, knowe=knoll, and in words like roll,
> gold (Sc. gowd), and a lot of dialect words like coup and loup.  You
> can substitute the vowel in OUT we have, because in Standard Scottish
> English (as opposed to Scots), they do have the same vowel. Bowster,
> in fact, equals bolster.  Incidentally, the names McKeown and Bowie
> also have this vowel in Scotland, though they don't here.  I had to
> learn that one, especially because David Bowie was especially popular
> when I started to live there,

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Judy Prince <jbalizsprince at GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Babbity Bowster
>> ---------
>>
>> Apparently the term "Babbity Bowster" hadn't/hasn't emigrated to
>> the States
>> as I had thought when querying this list a few days ago.  Robin
>> Hamilton
>> kindly sent its etymology, but we still don't know how "Bow-" is
>> pronounced=
>> .
>>  If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.  Following is the
>> information Robin
>> sent:
>>
>> DSL - SND1
>>

>> BAB AT THE BOWSTER, BAB IN THE BOWSTER, BABBITY BOWSTER, phr.
>>

>> 1. An old country dance, finishing off a ball, a wedding, or any
>> kind of
>> merrymaking.
>>

>>     *Sc. 1851 Eng. Notes and Q. (18 Jan.) 45:
>>

>>     The manner of dancing it is, the company having formed itself
>> into a
>> circle, one, either male or female, goes into the centre, carrying
>> a pillow
>> [or handkerchief], and dances round the circle with a sort of
>> shuffling
>> quick step, while the others sing, =E2=80=94 =E2=80=9CWha
>> learn=E2=80=99d y=
>> ou to dance, you to
>> dance, you to dance, Wha learn=E2=80=99d you to dance, Bab in the
>> Bowster b=
>> rawly?=E2=80=9D
>> To which the dancer replies: =E2=80=9CMother learn=E2=80=99d me to
>> dance, m=
>> e to dance, me to
>> dance, Mother learn=E2=80=99d me to dance, Bab in theBowster
>> brawly.=E2=80=
>> =9D He or she then
>> lays down the pillow before one of the opposite sex, when they both
>> kneel o=
>> it and kiss; the person to whom the pillow has been presented going
>> over th=
>> above again, etc., till the company tires.
>>

>>     *Fif. 1864 W. D. Latto Tammas Bodkin (1868) xxxv.:

> [...]

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain