low back merger--austentacious

Leslie Decker leslie at FAMILYDECKER.ORG
Sat Mar 13 07:53:24 UTC 2010

Not just *now*--has been for years.  My great-grandmother, who was born just
north of Austin and died in 2002 at the age of 97, always pronounced it that
way.  There's been no change in that,at least in the last 100 years.  Anyone
who says Aw-stin marks themselves as from the Northeast or another country.
Cot and caught sound the same to us--and we have absolutely NO PROBLEMS
communicating with each other.  It's no more difficult to distinguish in
context than 'to', 'too', and 'two', or 'their', 'there', and 'they're.'
Hell, 'pen' and 'pin' cause more problems, but real country folk around here
will just say 'inkpen' or 'stickpen' to distinguish if necessary.

Changes that HAVE happened include the loss of the glide in words such as
'tune' and 'new'.  My dad's generation is probably the last to have it.
He--a farmer from just north of Austin--has the glide.  My mother, a
city-girl Austin native, does not, though both of her parents did.

Leslie (German teacher, lurker with a linguistics degree, and central Texas
native)