low back merger--austentacious

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Sat Mar 13 09:36:44 UTC 2010

> Boston in the '70's through the 2000's always reminded me of Saint
> Louis in the 1940's: a slightly-politer version of East Texas. Instead
> of "No Colored" or some such, signs in Saint Louis read, "We Reserve
> The Right To Refuse Service To Anyone." Boston has few such signs, if
> any. But, there was no place I ever went in Boston, including Harvard
> Square, where someone didn't shout "Naygah!" at me.

The UK version of this would probably find the original pub or
bed-and-breakfast sign, "No Irish or Gypsies", turned into the more
acceptable (!!!) "Only Residents May Expect to Be Served."

Though currently, maybe there is hope, the BNP here in the UK has just been
firmly smacked-down by the courts for trying to euphemise their "no
non-white need apply" party constitution into some sort of weasel-mouthed
rewrite.

Mind you, in the UK, the term "nigger", when it was considered acceptable,
embraced *all Nei Blanc people, West Indians, (mostly) Indians [no
differentiation between Hindu, Moslem, or Sikh], Asians --  not just
blacks -- and was cheerfully extended to embrace both the Irish and
Travellers.

> "I don't relate to Northeast English."
> -Wilson

"I don't relate to Standard English."