creeper

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 13 16:36:23 UTC 2010

I don't *think* anyone has checked out HDAS on "creep."

The evidence shows that the usu. slang sense of "creep," formerly applied
by felons to contemptible sneak thieves, did not become common until perhaps
1940, and not wildly so till the '50s.

Etymologically it probably has nothing to do with giving the "creeps,"
though that is certainly how many people think of it.

HDAS's "1926" ex. may be shaky. It came from the 1999 reprint, and I have a
creepy feeling - based on essentially nothing - that the line may have been
silently modernized. (The rest of the poem/story seems to be unproblematic.)
Either that or Joseph Mancuso March picked it the word up from a bootlegger,
evidently equally possible.

JL