"folk" with an L

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 14 08:35:32 UTC 2010

True, it's a well-known phenomenon, but it's rare that you actually
hear it. My late stepfather is the only person that I've ever heard
use this pronunciation in real life, as opposed to TV, movies, radio,
etc., as I head into my mid-seventies. I'm with Tom.

-Wilson

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Michael Covarrubias
<mcovarru at purdue.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Michael Covarrubias <mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "folk" with an L
>
> On Mar14, 2010, at 3:12 AM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>

>> My father, raised in Conn. said the word, film, as "filum" ~filum.  He's the only person I've ever heard say it that way.
>>

> this is a well known pronunciation.

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain