Still Earlier Antedating of "Restaurant"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 14 14:10:54 UTC 2010

Depending on the search string, this volume pops up in the third or
fourth "ten" (I searched for pre-1823, at first, then pre-1819, but
with slightly different prompts). There are actually a number of hits
in the 1802-1803 period, including at least four copies of The Monthly
Magazine for 1803. But, because of slow connection, I only got through
the first 50 or so hits, of which more than half are misdated
(although many are from 1860s and 1890s instead of 1800s--a very
common GB error). Some, like the two you mention are so obvious, they
don't need to be checked, of course.

VS-)