"folk" with an L

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 15 01:12:07 UTC 2010

I've had a number of "Arab" students in various college environments.
Some came from English-speaking families, others from French-speaking
(both frequently making the higher-SES group, except for Lebanese
Maronites whose economic status cannot be determined based on this
criterion alone). Yet others were neither English nor French speakers
when they entered formal education in English, yet, I am not aware of
any of them--admittedly a self-selected group, pursuing higher
education--who had any /particular/ difficulty in learning English.
Sure, many of them had identifiable accents, but why is this news? I
am also not convinced that any of the explanations offered in the
article are even mildly persuasive. In fact, I am rather tempted to
use stronger language in response.

VS-)