Babbity Bowster

Mon Mar 15 04:31:24 UTC 2010

Wilson,
It's actually not far from Dutch ui.  Usually, the Dutch vowel has
both the first and second vowels both rounded and front  [oeY] (the o
& e are supposed to be joined).  The Scots sound is a little farther
back (central-to-centralized front), and the 1st sound of the
diphthong is more like a schwa.  The barred u is a high central
rounded vowel, and that's the 2nd sound.  The closest thing I've
heard to it here in America is something like how a Carolinian
pronounces the vowel in words like hope--if you remember how John
Edwards used to say "Hope is on the way", you're close.

Paul