Bumper Sticker: Chicken Little was right (antedating 1965 December 16) (1956)

Mon Mar 15 18:56:24 UTC 2010

Charles Doyle wrote
> In our "modern proverbs" files, we have this:
>
> << Chicken Little (Licken, Lickin') was right.  1950  Max Steele, _Debby_ (NY: Harper, 1950), 270 (the protagonist looking up at the dark sky, which seems to have "split wide open"): "Smack-dab across the center of darkness was a band of sunlight. 'Chicken Little!' Debby whispered aghast. She had always known that Chicken Little was right; that the world would come to an end; that the sky would someday fall in on their heads." >>

Excellent. Thanks for sharing that cite. Looking forward to the Modern
Proverbs reference work. There is a 1918 story where "Chicken Little
turned out all right, after all" and there is a 1914 story where
"Chicken Little Leads the Way Home" from Foxy-Loxy's den but neither
story really contains matches for the phrase.