low back merger--austentacious

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 16 14:13:19 UTC 2010

Seems to be a difference of opinion on pronouncing "Austin".  AWE-stin or AH-stin.  I assume it's said both ways there.  I assume the AH-stin is has the biggest trent.  Could it be from hispanic pronunciation?

Jay Leno said AHK-word for "awkward" last night.  His from Mass.  I would think he changed from awe to ah since moving to LA.

The "awe" phoneme isn't a biggie, so the effect isn't huge.  My data in truespel book 4, which counts phoneme appearances in text, shows that "awe" appears only 1/9 the number of times the most popular vowels do.

Still, if the awe-droppers have their way, the awe phoneme will dissappear from USA English.  I clicked on m-w.com and thefreedictionary.com and the pronunciatin of "awkward" for USA was AHK-word, although the written phonetics is the awe vowel.  In fact m-w.com even pronounces the word "awe" as ah, but at least thefreedictionary.com says it as "awe".  Both have the "awe" symbol in written phonetics for the word "awe".  That makes m-w.com less trustworthy in my opinion if they don't say the sound "awe" for the phonetic symbol "awe".

see truespel.com phonetic spelling