Query: "I've got your number."

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 17 15:16:59 UTC 2010

The first cite --
up we got, wid four men more on the seats, an' two in
the well o' the car, which oughtn't to carry only four altogether ;
an' indeed the horse seemed to think he'd got his number. But cruelty
to animals wasn't minded then, whin people were goin' down to "The
'Brook." --
seems to me to make most sense as 'the limit': the horse seemed to think
he'd already been given all he was supposed to have to haul (and then some).

m a m