Query: "I've got your [ouse] number."

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 17 18:42:16 UTC 2010

Thanks, George.  I have not found a productive way of searching EAN
for such house numbers -- EAN wants to ignore periods (in "No."), for
one thing.

The New York street numbers precede the example of cab license number.

Lots allotted in the division of New England towns were numbered from
the early 1700s, but that's not what we think of as a street address.

I did find a "John Shepherd, merchant taylor, No. 32, Hanover Square"
from 1789 (Daily Advertiser, NY), fitting in with George's 1783 and
1794 dates.  And a lot with a house "on the north side of
Elliot-street, and known by the numbers 37 and 38", in the State
Gazette of South-Carolina, 1786 Oct. 5, p. 1.  The phrasing suggests
that numbering houses on streets was a new concept for Charleston in 1786.

Joel