beat it up

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 18 17:08:27 UTC 2010

Not one I heard before. From TPM and AJC, reporting on the teaching
license suspension of one of the gubernatorial candidates in GA:

> ·       Student 1 indicated that educator told her he wanted to take her home and “beat it up” (i.e. have sex).

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AfKEK8-LWmzhZGNmZDk0bTNfMjRkc3p3N2ZkNA&hl=en&pli=1

Of course, there are plenty of other similar references I have never
heard. I've heard a similar expression before, but the antecedent of
"it" wasa lower primate.

Another one, from the same report, that had me puzzled:

> ·       Student 15 stated that the educator had told her that he could see her cleavage. The educator had once commented that he could see “stuff” and she needed to pull her skirt down. The educator had once told her, as it pertained to how she dressed, that she was going to get him fired.

I am wondering who made the choice of the word "cleavage"--the
subject, the student or the investigator. And there is the underlying
question whether the first two sentences refer to the same incident.
If they do not, there is no word choice issue.

VS-)