Negative Nancies and other related musings

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sat Mar 20 14:48:23 UTC 2010

On Mar 20, 2010, at 12:03 AM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> Negative Nancies made the WaPo today...

> ... I've never heard "Negative Nellie" but it's widely attested. On
> the
> other hand "Nos(e)y Nellie" is quite common.
>
> Another expression that belongs to the same category is "Grumpy
> Gus"...

a further alliterative generic name is Silent Sam.  and the
orthographically, but not phonologically, alliterative Chatty Cathy
(the name of a Mattel "talking doll" from the 1960s), applied to a
talkative person, especially a woman.

arnold