Terlet

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 22 14:05:45 UTC 2010

At 9:55 AM -0400 3/22/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 3/22/2010 09:45 AM, Paul Johnston wrote:
>>Used to be New York City/Brooklyn/Hudson County, NJ as a
>>hypercorrection, reflecting the verse/voice (or bird/Boyd) merger.  I
>>have heard it, but only from really old speakers.
>
>What would an a-rhotic Brooklynite say?
>
>Joel

My impression is that the merger yields something closer to [t^ilIt]
or [b^id], with a central onset, but "boyd" is as close as the
standard orthography lets us get, so the stereotype ends up "boyd"
and doesn't represent the centralized (and non-rounded) onset of
"toilet".  But then there's probably a lot of variation on the exact
location of the diphthong.

LH