Terlet

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 22 15:54:46 UTC 2010

I am surprised no one has mentioned the old "Bowery Boys" movies, which I
remember capturing this accent well.

For some reason, no one gives any credit to the school system of NYC for
eliminating the rhotic "erl" and the hypercorrective "boid". My parents were
born in Manhattan in the 20s/30s, and were taught to speak correctly. Many
of their peers, especially outside of Manhattan, were not.

DanG