regional names

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Mar 22 16:18:11 UTC 2010

> As far as I know, yes, though there's some debate about what
> "Scottis" meant during the late 1400's now, among the authorities.
> During that period, though, "Inglis" could mean either English of
> England, or Older Scots.
>
> Paul Johnston

Just to pick your brains further, Paul, does it still hold, what I was
taught in the sixties, that the dividing moment when it made sense to talk
of Scottish English as distinct from (northern) English English fell between
Barbour's _Brus_ and Blind Harry's _Wallace_?

Robin