Antedating "Virginia ham" to 1795 & 1803 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 22 21:56:30 UTC 2010

Serious or not, I would compare and contrast the use to the use of the
"Boston butt", which is today primarily limited to the South and is said
to refer to the particular [low-quality] cuts of port that used to be
cured and packaged in New England for long-term consumption elsewhere.
I've seen cuts that ranged from 4 inches in length to a foot and a half
in girth referred to as "Boston butt", and I have not spent much time in
the South. It is does appear to be a specific reference to cuts made
from the shoulder of a pig, near the blade. These occasionally include
the blade as well, although more often they are boneless. They may
encompass a single muscle or the entire shoulder. There is little doubt
that Boston butts used to be consumed all over the colonies. At some
point, I would like to track down the use.

I have also seen "Boston picnic" and "Boston shoulder" at various
butchers and supermarkets. But, unlike Virginia ham, Carolina ham and
Southern ham, it never refers to the place of origin.

     VS-)