Quote: one can do a great deal of good if one does not care who gets the credit (antedating attrib Strickland 1863)

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 26 06:06:38 UTC 2010

Of similar sentiment:

"True generosity expects no reward."
Old Sufi saying.

Or

"Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee,
as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may
have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

King James Bible
Mathew 6:2