Q: "gold dust" used figuratively?

Fri Mar 26 18:30:26 UTC 2010

Perhaps your example fits the pattern of the proverb "Gold dust blinds
all eyes". The following link goes to a Dictionary of Proverbs with an
entry for the saying, but the cite given is 1875:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7PMZJqSR4sAC&q=%22gold+dust%22#v=snippet&

But there are multiple examples before 1875. For example, an issue of
American Monthly Magazine dated July 1838 has an instance:

"… that the "dear people" had been bought up by the Banks - they had
been blinded by the gold dust thrown into their eyes and were rendered
incapable of judging of the perfections of the plan, which in his
infallibility, he had proposed for their acceptance."

http://books.google.com/books?id=bYNBAAAAYAAJ&q=%22gold+dust%22#v=snippet&

Here is a 1771 work containing a sermon in which a misguided
individual places gold dust into his eyes. "Let it be supposed, that
through his ignorance of the right use of the things that are about
him, he will vainly torment himself whilst he lives; and at last die,
blinded with dust, choaked with gravel, and loaded with irons.

http://books.google.com/books?id=C7IOAAAAIAAJ&q=gold+dust#v=snippet&

In the 1771 work the Reverend may be attempting to evoke a
pre-existing knowledge of the metaphor in the audience. I haven't
tried to trace the idea further back or search deeply, but I hope this
comment is useful to you.