chocolate

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 27 03:21:06 UTC 2010

OED has no Cahvvae under "alternative spellings", although it does have
Cauwa and Cahve, and there is a 1653 citation in the first cluster for
"Cahve house..[where they drink Cahve]".

I am also somewhat disconcerted by the fact that "cup of coffee" entry
is folded into 1.b. "A light repast ... or a final course at dinner". I
understand that the two are related--perhaps "coffee" for "cup of
coffee" is derived from those two, but it seems to be the only use of
"coffee" that can take a plural.

I am also puzzled that 4.a. includes "dandelion coffee", but not
"chicory coffee", which has quite a past in the 20th century and the
only beverage demanded by some who avoid actual coffee.

This is actually a good one, as one early find is 1879 Supreme Court
Reporter entry.

http://bit.ly/aMUnoV
Chester A. Arthur v. Emil Herold. Decided Nov. 24, 1879
> The plaintiffs gave some evidence to show that a different article
> from the imported article called "patent chicory," or "chicory
> coffee," was made by an admixture of water and foreign ingredients.

This is that much more interesting because the case hinged on a 1864
import duty act that imposed a duty on chicory imported into the US. In
any case, chicory coffee is certainly more important than dandelion
coffee and deserves at least a link to Chicory if not, indeed, a
specific citation under Coffee.

I am also wondering if Coffee Mug and Coffee Filter don't deserve to be
under special compounds. The former is a monosyllabic extension of
"coffee", just like "coffee-cup" and coffee-pot (the latter apparently
deserving a separate article, and the latter is a ubiquitous term in
cooking (used for filtering practically anything).

     VS-)